Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Metorites, Meteors, & Meteroids

Joanna Newsom, St. Andrew-Wesley Church, Tuesday, December 5th. Any takers? This is, in fact, the day before my project report is due, making me rather hesitant to sign on for it myself, but I thought I'd ask anyway. This also gives me a chance to point out that Ys is currently sitting as the no. 3 highest rated album of the year on metacrtic, has gotten the "Best New Music" seal-of-approval/kiss-of-death from pitchfork (oh noes, cheesy indie fux will be all over it now!), who also have a nice indepth interview with her as well.

Basically she's become the toast of the critical world, with all that entails. I have mixed feelings about this, in that it pains me that Ys will be grouped alongside much middling indie pablum, while I'm excited to see so many people recognize this album for the work of wonder that it is. My only hope is that it will have a positive affect of pushing indie tastes into more expansive and interesting areas, rather than becoming a stand-in for musical adventurism in a genre otherwise bereft of interesting ideas...

No comments: