Saturday, March 17, 2007

Tearjerker techno is not an oxymoron!!

Firstly let me say I'm thrilled janssen has decided to come out of the woodworks and pick a few fights in the comment sections. As you may or may not have figured out, I'm desperate for some intelligent conversation 'round here! Debate me! Or do you all just think I'm totally right about everything?

Second: nicole yesterday told me that the phrase "tearjerker techno" is an oxymoron, to which I point to this thread and even more importantly to this song, which I see has already been added to the list on above thread:

pantha du prince - saturn strobe

absolutely heartrending. I don't know why I still have to try and convince people that techno can be warm or emotional, but if this doesn't convince you, than I question whether you actually have any emotions at all, and aren't some sort of heartless robot killing machine sent here from the future to destroy the human race. No destroying the human race! Anyway, this track is just stunning. I'm absolutely obsessed with it right now.


Lastly: here's a reason why the "whishlist" feature on soulseek is excellent. In my first real post on this blog, way back in july of last year, i posted a youtube video of this weirdo italopop video from the late 70s, which I thought was damn catchy. Anyway, I entered the track into my wishlist on soulseek and promptly forgot about that for a good long while. But then the other day as I was downloading some tunes, the wishlist thing pops up with a returned search result for this very song, and I, not really even remembering what the hell it was, but trusting the judgement of my past self, downloaded it, and lo and behold, it is indeed a great track. So here it is for all y'alls enjoyment:

franco battiato - l'era del cinghiale bianco

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh my god, I have astounded myself not only by downloading a terblobes song, but by actually liking it. And although it encourages reflection and emotional-style thinking, Tear-jerker techno? anyone crying from Techno is the opposite of what terblobes said- robot factory something.... techno cryers are just well, fucked- for lack of a better word. good song though- nice work.

Anonymous said...

yeah cool track. though i too did not cry.

Is "tear-jerker techno" actually a real genre? wouldn't it just be easier to call that neo-trance similar to Kaito? Or Ambient? Or at least Ambient-techno? Or Ambient-trance. Or perhaps IDM? Or deep house?

What makes it techno exactly?

But seriously, i remeber that franco battiato clip, that's awesome!

and yeah, birds, like Avril Lavigne, suck!

turtles said...

jeez you people, don't take me so literally, i was just meaning "tearjerker" in that it was an overtly emotional and sad sounding song, not that I was actually bawling my eyes out or anything. and yeah, "techno" mostly for the alliterative effect, really it fall somewhere in the weird nexus between techno and house and a whole bunch of other things that so much of german electronic music falls into these day.

Anonymous said...

ah the weird nexus... what better nexus could there be!