Thursday, July 13, 2006

95% Music-Free Post

Two songs of pure unadulterated joy. Weirdly both very similar (beats + female vox = joy) and completely different (teenpop != happy hardcore)

Amy Diamond - What's In It For Me?

Bang - Shooting Star (Bonkers Remix)



So the other day I had this dream that was a fully narrated nature show about birds that ate a kind of bulbous green fruit. The weird thing about it was that my dream was the tv show. I wasn't dreaming of watching the TV show, in fact I really had no sense of embodiment at all, it was like I had a TV inside my head that was playing a nature show with typical male narrator-style voice going on about the habits of this little bird (which was somewhat hummingbird-like). And I just accepted that there was a TV in my head playing nature shows. There's some parallel between dreams and television that makes their combination oddly disquieting. They're both fictions that reflect our inner desires and worries, both experienced with a kind of detached passivity, both...? This is really pushing my brain-buttons right now.

Other things pushing my brain-buttons right now (on the politix front). Bush administration suddenly on Wednesday declares that it will abide by the Geneva Convention for treating all of its prisoners of war, including the detainees in Guantanamo. Front page headlines everywhere (well New York Times, at least). Finally! I think to myself. But then I also think to myself "wait, let's withhold judgment until you find out what they actually plan on doing." And sure enough, the very next day it turns out the Bushies are looking to get congress to define a set of limitations on how the Geneva Convention applies to detainees (fuck it, PRISONERS, "detainees" is fucking propaganda talk, plain and simple) in Gitmo. It's annoying how easy it is to fall for the soundbite, "oh they're going to follow the Geneva Convention, great!" and just carry on and never follow through and get the rest of the story. And these fuckers know that, know if they just say it loud enough and enough times it will slip past enough people's radar that it will become the de facto truth--the great "common sense" opinion of the "people" that no one actually holds, but everyone refers to.

Also the whole Israeli incursions into Gaza and now bloody Lebanon are SCA-RY. For gods sake's they're bombing the runways of the godamn public airport in Beirut, and apparently trying to claim that Hezbollah is attempting to smuggle the kidnapped Israeli soldiers to Iran. Hol-eee shit. Way to escalate things. And of course they haven't gotten any of the soldiers back yet, because those soldiers are clearly quite low on Israel's priority list. I mean, bombing the public airport in Beirut is helping get back their soldiers how?

Finally, Lenin on point about the treatment of the Mumbai train bombings in the media. Go you media machine, you.


Well I'm off to Swift Current, Saskatchewan for a Medieval themed wedding! See ya'll peeps on Monday. Oh yeah and if you want any of the tracks whose link has expired, just give me a shout and I'll re-up them. And would it kill you to leave a comment? I demand feedback!

No comments: